Friday, February 1, 2013

Breakfast on the Run: Kind Bar Review

I've been heading out to yoga or my runs first thing after getting out of bed lately, so I need some quick calories to fuel my workouts.  Traditional running fuels (gels, chews) are great during a run, but they just haven't been working for me as pre-workout fuel recently, and I don't want to eat a huge meal before exercising and give myself GI problems.  I've started grabbing a Kind bar before heading to class, and I've been really happy with how they've fueled my runs and my hour-long, almost hot (90°F), vigorous vinyasa yoga classes.

Kind bar love.
I really like that I can see all of the ingredients in the bar and they have plenty of nuts and other good things to give me energy.  They're also gluten- and dairy-free, for those of you with those dietary restrictions.  I've been buying boxes of 12 off of Amazon, which is way cheaper than buying individual bars.  Right now, my favorite flavors are Almond and Coconut and Almond and Apricot. If you like variety, I suggest the Fruit and Nut Variety Pack, which includes 9 Fruit and Nut Delight and 9 Almond and Apricot bars. The Almond Cashew + Omega-3 bars are an easy way to sneak a little more Omega-3 fatty acids into your diet, but to me, these bars taste much sweeter than the other varieties, sometimes too sweet. The Pomegranate Blueberry Pistachio + Antioxidants bars are tasty if you're looking for some fruit flavor, but the bars contain small pieces of crisp rice, which I find get stuck in my teeth and tend to linger. (I found a piece of crisp rice tucked by one of my molars in down dog today, even after brushing with my Sonicare toothbrush.)

If you're looking for a relatively healthy grab-and-go snack, I'd definitely recommend checking out Kind bars if you haven't.  I know I'm totally hooked on them.

What do you eat before your workouts?
Have you ever tried Kind bars?
What's your favorite granola/energy bar?
   

3 comments:

  1. I love Kind bars but I only seem to buy them when I'm out and need a quick snack. I love that they're available at so many places!

    Before I work out in the morning, I usually have a date stuffed with almond butter or peanut butter. I have a sensitive stomach and don't like to run when I have too much food in it, so something small but calorie dense is perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kind bars, but must admit I love the ones that have dark chocolate chips in with the nuts. They're my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learn a few excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting.
    I wonder how much attempt you put to create this type of wonderful informative web site.



    Also visit my web blog: msn Hotmail

    ReplyDelete