Monday, February 11, 2013

Busy weekend

Saturday:
—7 mile marathon pace run
—1 hour vinyasa yoga class

After my morning workouts, Scott and I headed to Bloomington-Normal, IL, where we're getting married to try to get some things straightened out.  First, we grabbed a quick lunch at Panera.

Lunch: half caesar salad and half turkey sandwich
 
It might be impossible for me to resist anything labeled "red velvet."
We got our photographer booked and we also reserved a place for our rehearsal dinner, all in the span of about six hours, so I was happy with how the trip went.
 
Sunday:
—14 mile long run
—20 minutes yoga at home

Scott and I started our day off with one more wedding things: we were signed up to attend a gift registry event for engaged couples at Crate and Barrel.  I've been dreaming for years about getting to register at Crate and Barrel and it was fun getting to look at all of the gadgets and housewares, but it was also more stressful than I expected since we had to agree on which plates, flatware, etc. we liked best.  We did get some free pastries, which was nice.
 
I managed to make some overnight oats for the first time following Lindsay's recipe with a few tweaks.  Since I don't need to avoid milk and couldn't find vanilla Amande (I swear Whole Foods had every flavor but vanilla), I went with some organic vanilla yogurt, and I also added a splash of vanilla extract.


I got in my long run on the treadmill because by the time we were done with all of our errands it was really cold and rainy and gross outside.  My legs were so tired from the marathon pace run the previous day, so the long run was definitely a test of mental endurance and learning how to run on tired legs, but I finished it.
 
Monday:
—1 hour vinyasa yoga class
 
My legs were beat yesterday so I decided to take a break from running today and just do yoga.  My whole body felt so much better after the class.  I also got a sports massage which was great and I'm really hoping that it helped me work out some of the stubborn kinks in my calves and helped to stretch out my IT band.
 
I also went out and bought a new laptop!  Mine decided to bite the dust over the weekend, which is why I didn't update my blog.


My old 6-year-old Toshiba had been randomly shutting down for maybe about a week now I had a lot of trouble getting it to boot yesterday.  Today I got the crazy screen above when I tried to get it to start up.
 
Scott found me a good deal on a decent Samsung laptop that's really light weight and I think will work really well once we get things like the mouse touchpad sensitivity adjusted.  The new computer is going to suck up a lot of my tax refund, but my old Toshiba just doesn't have any more time left in it.  Thanks for your hard work, Toshie.

Did you work out today?
Do you ever purposely run on tired legs?
When was the last time you got a new computer? 
Do you ever get massages?
 

10 comments:

  1. Yay for the new computer! It's time, after 6 years :) and yay for those killer workouts and getting some wedding stuff done :)

    One of my coworkers LOVES Crate & Barrel and says how if she ever gets married she will register there. We have a giftcard to there from 5 years ago! Yikes!

    I did workout today - run + strength. And I do run on tired legs on purpose sometimes. But always take one rest day. Hee hee. I had to get a new comp last spring. Mine from Fall of 04 finally crashed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was time to get a new computer. I was hoping to put it off until I got a job, but luckily I can cover the cost with my tax refund. Running + strength sounds like a workout (strength) on tired legs. My legs always burn so much when I do strength after my harder runs.

      Delete
  2. Great runs over the weekend! I've been trying to incorporate some strength training to tire my legs out in non-running ways so that I can practice running on tired legs. I think it's important to be comfortable doing so for the last few miles of a marathon.

    Sorry to hear about your computer but it looks like you found a good replacement!

    Did you like the overnight oats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, practicing running on tired legs is key for marathon running, which is why I'm trying to do more of it. The overnight oats were delicious and more than I had hoped for! Thanks so much for the great recipe!

      Delete
  3. Nice long run after the MP run! Those are tough.
    I have never even been inside a Crate and Barrel. ha! I would find way too many things I would like. A registry there sounds like a great thing, though.

    I do run on tired legs- but usually it ends up being a recovery pace. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running on tired legs at a recovery pace sounds like a safe bet. It's so hard to push the pace when your brain is telling you to slow down and stop and I'm sure your risk of injury goes up as you run faster.

      Delete
  4. Nice job! Looks like you are getting your groove back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree; I'm finally feeling a little like my old self. :)

      Delete
  5. Great job on all those runs! And a 14 miler on the treadmill?? WOW!!! Have fun with the new laptop!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am very lucky that I have a nice TV to keep me entertained while I run on the treadmill, otherwise I think I'd go bonkers.

      Delete