Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lovely Day for a Run

Today's workouts:
—11 mile medium-long run (11:22 average pace)
—1 hour vinyasa yoga class

I went to yoga first thing this morning, which was a challenge, particularly for my arms, because it had been just over 12 hours since I had last practiced.  But, I made it through the class and felt pretty great when I was done.

I ran a few errands, came home, and tried to nap, but the dogs only let me get in 20 minutes or so of napping before they woke me up.  I think they didn't want me to fall asleep for a long period of time and not decide to go on my run.  I wound up heading out for my run around 1 PM, which isn't a bad time to run in the winter since it's the warmest part of the day.

The weather was gorgeous and I was really glad to be able to get in a longer run outdoors.


I think my legs were a little tired from my tempo run yesterday, or maybe it was all of the yoga.  It was really hard for me, mentally, to not just give up and say that I got enough miles in today.  Around mile 7 my right hip flexor started bothering me (the injury I've been fighting since September).  I almost stopped running, which maybe I should have.  I stopped and my legs got cold which made the flexor feel even worse once I started running again.  But, I toughed it out and finished, although my flexor was killing me during my cool down walk.  It didn't bother me much after I showered, but I'm still icing it to be safe.

I'm still running pretty slowly compared to the splits I was getting before my injury, but I'm only 30 seconds or so slower than where I was last year at this time, which isn't too bad, in my opinion.  I'm just going to keep following my training plan and try to base a lot of my running off of heart rate so I make sure I'm getting the right effort level.
 
Do you train by heart rate?
What workouts did you do today?
Or was today a rest day for you?
Do you like to take naps?
 

14 comments:

  1. Nice job! I think you're smart to ice your hip flexor and I hope it feels better soon. Does yoga help it?

    I had a tempo run this morning and it was tough but I powered through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely get to stretch it out in yoga. Also, when I went to physical therapy for the injury, my PT had me doing a lot of strengthening exercises of my hip muscles, which is something that yoga helps do.

      Nice job working through your tough run! :)

      Delete
  2. Gahhh be so careful with your injury!!!! Fingers crossed!
    I am so impressed with your dedication to your yoga resolution, wish I would stick to mine like you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping if I'm nice to it, the injury will calm down a bit. :)

      Delete
  3. Naps are my heaven! That is my favorite thing about long runs, post long run celebratory nap. I too am running slower post injury, but I tell myself that at least I am running again after months off. We will get there, it just takes time to get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Post long-run naps are the best. And yes, we will get back there--I'm sure we have the determination to do it. :) Good luck with your recovery!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I have a 12 miler this weekend, and nap afterward:)

      Delete
  4. Aww man, I hope your hip flexor feels better today! Ouch! But that is great you got to go out yesterday when it was so nice and warm! :)

    Yesterday was strength training for me! :) Kettlebell love!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Kettlebell workouts sound like a fun way to mix things up!

      Delete
  5. Great run girl! Hope the hip flexor is ok! Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your warm thoughts! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi!
    Saw you comment on a couple of blogs I read and thought I'd stop by... too funny that today I did a 7 mile run first thing in the morning and this evening I'll be taking a yoga class. :)
    I. Love. Naps.
    My kids don't like it when I nap, though, because it takes me a long time to wake up and act like myself again.
    Hope your hip feels better! Glad to hear you're icing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting and for your well wishes! I'm always glad to "meet" another runner-yogi. :) I'll definitely check out your blog!

      Delete
  7. Jealous you had such nice weather, I am so over winter and cold windy weather right now, it is killing my motivation! Pretty picture also.
    I don't train by heartrate although I have run with a heart rate monitor a couple times out of curiousity. I did my run, which you read about and will do a ZWOW later this afternoon. Tomorrow will be a rest or easy day.

    ReplyDelete