Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Valentine's Presents

Today's workouts:
—6 mile tempo run
—1 hour vinyasa yoga class

I headed out to the crushed gravel path where I've been doing my outdoor runs today for my tempo run.  I generally do speed work on Tuesdays and Thursdays and although Tuesday has traditionally been my interval day, over the past few weeks I've been switching things around if the weather is better for an outdoor run on Tuesday.  Today was forecasted to be warmer than Thursday, so I decided to do my tempo run today.

It was very windy at times and I ran my first few miles into a headwind, so they were pretty slow.  My other miles averaged around a 9:40 pace, which would have been really slow for me last year, but it's not a bad pace for me now.  Every week I keep hoping that I'll get faster.

I came home and discovered that I had two packages delivered for me from my dad.  He's so nice and sends me presents for Valentine's Day every year.  As in years past, he had one of the women in his office help him decorate up one of the boxes with stickers. 


A lot of the small stickers had marine critters on them, which is fitting because my masters and PhD research was on marine invertebrates.

Dad sure does know how to pick good presents for runners.


I wound up with Girl Scout cookies, a box of Sport Beans, and two running books that were on my Amazon wish list.  Dad's diabetic so he shouldn't eat the cookies but he likes to support his coworkers' daughters when they sell cookies, and I am fortunately the lucky beneficiary of his kindness.  If Scott's extra nice to me, I might share some.

What are you hoping to get for Valentine's Day?
What's your favorite Girl Scout cookie?
Have you read any good running books lately?
 

7 comments:

  1. It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd certainly donate to this excellent blog! I suppose for now i'll
    settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to
    my Google account. I look forward to brand new
    updates and will share this website with my Facebook group.

    Chat soon!
    my web page: resveratrol supplements

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about the Hansons method! Let me know how you like the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking for a good running read. Do you plan on reviewing either book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! That's a great idea, actually. :)

      Delete
  4. What a sweet and thoughtful gift! And how cool that that is your masters/PhD!!! What kind of work do you want to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's the $10K question. I used to want to go into academia, but I've come to understand that being a professor can be a very stressful job, particularly when tenure and promotion depend on your ability to get funding, which in turn depends on how well Congress wants to fund agencies like the National Science Foundation. Add to that a glut of PhDs in the life sciences competing for too few available jobs...I'm not sure that dealing with all of that stress is worth it.

      Delete